Spotlight on NPs is a weekly article that highlights exciting achievements and activities of American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) members.
In a recent CBS News article, AANP member Dr. Josh Hamilton shared his educational path and encouraged others to continue their educations and work toward the highest degree possible. According to Dr. Hamilton, “nursing is one of the noblest professions a person can pursue.”
Check out this USA Today article regarding legislation that positively impacted nurse practitioner independence in several states. The article features AANP VP of State Government Affairs Dr. Taynin Kopanos, AANP Fellow Dr. Stephen Ferrara, and AANP members Minnesota State Senator Kathy Sheran and Dr. Elizabeth Visone. Let’s continue to work toward full and direct access to NP care for patients in all states.
Congratulations to AANP member Dr. Kathleen Reeve, who will be awarded a Good Samaritan Foundation silver medal in recognition of excellence as a nursing instructor. Kathryn Tart, dean of the University of Houston Victoria School of Nursing, said, “Dr. Reeve has been instrumental in the achievements of our nursing school. I am thrilled she is being recognized for her work as a faculty member. She’s done a fantastic job preparing our students for advanced careers in nursing.” Read more.
Two AARP articles feature AANP member Danielle Pendergrass and discuss the important role nurse practitioners play in ensuring that patients have access to the high quality health care they need. Read more about the call to update outdated legislation and give patients full and direct access to the services NPs provide at AARP The Magazine and AARP Blog.
AANP member Dr. Elizabeth Downes has been recognized for exceptional teaching and will join an exclusive group of 169 nurse educators next month as she is inducted as a Fellow in the National League for Nursing’s Academy of Nursing Education. Learn more.
Congratulations to AANP member Dr. Israel Vega, who received the Valley Morning Star‘s Reader’s Choice Award for best family practice doctor. Dr. Vega is a nurse practitioner. Read more on page 10.
AANP member Donna Gallagher explained the importance of protective medical equipment in an article describing the University of Massachusetts Medical School’s support for those caring for Ebola patients in Liberia.
Congratulations to the following 20 AANP members who were selected for induction into the American Academy of Nursing (AAN) Fellows:
- Debra Bakerjian, PhD, RN, FNP, FAANP
- Deborah Becker, PhD, ACNP, BC
- Kunsook Song Bernstein, PhD, RN, PMHNP-BC
- Diane Cheryl Berry, PhD, RN, ANP-BC, FAANP
- Alice Bonner, PhD, RN, BC
- Nancy Crigger, PhD, MA, APRN, BC
- Donald Gardenier, DNP, RN, FNP-BC, FAANP (AANP Region 2 Director)
- Mary Jo Goolsby, EdD, MSN, NP-C, CAE, FAANP
- Susan Hagedorn, PhD, RN, PCPNP-BC, WHNP, FAANP
- Louise Kaplan, PhD, ARNP, FNP-BC, FAANP
- Ann Kutney-Lee, PhD, RN
- Kate Malliarakis, PhD, ANP-BC, MAC
- Katherine Pereira, DNP, RN, FNP-BC, ADM-BC, FAANP
- Lenore K. Resick, PhD, CRNP, FNP-BC, FAANP
- Leorey N. Saligan, PhD, RN, FNP-BC
- Lorna L. Schumann, PhD, ACNP-BC, ACNS-BC, NP-C, CCRN-R, FAANP
- Cynthia S. Selleck, PhD, RN
- Tami Lynn Thomas, PhD, RN, CPNP, RNC, FAANP
- Wendy L. Wright, MS, RN, APRN, ANP-BC, FNP-BC, FAANP
- Cathy Louise Young, DNSc RN, APRN, FAANP
Read AAN’s announcement.
AANP member and director of the graduate nursing program at University of Michigan-Flint, Dr. Constance Creech, is featured in an article about a grant that will help registered nurses continue their educations and become nurse practitioners. Read more.