Spotlight on NPs is a weekly article that highlights exciting achievements and activities of American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) members.
Congratulations to the following 15 AANP members, including nine AANP Fellows, who were selected for fellowship in the American Academy of Nursing. The induction ceremony is scheduled to take place October 17 in Washington, DC. Read the press release.
- Susan Bonner Patton, DNSc, APRN, FAANP – University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Katherine Kenny, DNP, RN, ANP-BC, FAANP – Arizona State University
- Patricia Cathleen McMullen, PhD, JD, RN, CRNP, FAANP – The Catholic University of America
- Cindy Tofthagen, PhD, ARNP, AOCNP, FAANP – University of South Florida
- Elizabeth A. Kostas-Polston, PhD, APRN, WHNP-BC, FAANP – Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
- Carmel McComiskey, DNP, PPCNP-BC, CPNP-AC, FAANP – University of Maryland Medical Center
- Ruth Palan Lopez, PhD, GNP-BC, FGSA – MGH Institute of Health Professions
- Barbara Todd, DNP, CRNP, ACNP-BC, FAANP – Hospital University of Pennsylvania
- Cristina C. Hendrix, DNS, APRN, GNP BC – Duke University / Durham VA Medical Center
- Ronald Hickman, PhD, RN, ACNP-BC – Case Western Reserve University
- Susie Adams, PhD, RN, PMHNP/CNS-BC, FAANP – Vanderbilt University
- M. Kathleen Murphy, DNP, RN, NEA-BC, FNP-BC – University of Texas Medical Branch
- Karlen Luthy, DNP, FNP – Brigham Young University
- Luann Whittenburg, PhD, RN BC, FNP BC, CPHQ, CPHIMS – Medicomp Systems
- Anne Hirsch, PhD, ARNP, FAANP – Seattle University
AANP Fellow Dr. Christell Bray was quoted in a Nurse.com article about online education. According to Dr. Bray, distance learning students have more access to professors than those in traditional classrooms, and the technology makes it easy to ensure that all students are participating.
Medicare has proposed a new rule that would allow health care providers to bill for end-of-life conversations with patients. AANP member Terry Rochon says she hopes this will encourage people to start having these conversations earlier in the diagnosis to help ensure that patients’ goals are considered at each point in their illness. Read the article.
AANP member Stepheny Sumrall conducted a Senior Circle Lunch & Learn on the importance of education and screening for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms. Representatives from AAAneurysm Outreach were also present to raise awareness of this potentially life-threatening condition. Read the notice.
AANP 2015 National Conference Highlights
Thank you to all who attended the AANP 2015 National Conference and who made the experience so enjoyable! Selected interviews from the conference are available below. Additional videos will continue to be uploaded to the AANP 2015 National Conference playlist on YouTube.
Watch Jaquetta Reeves describe increasingly positive experiences at AANP National Conferences. She appreciated the organization and variety of industry sponsored lunches at the AANP 2015 National Conference, as well up-to-date information on illnesses she frequently treats.
In this fun interview, recent DNP graduates from Loyola University, Dr. Janelle Akomah and Dr. Djenie Helne, describe their first experience at an AANP National Conference and demonstrate the camaraderie commonly shared between colleagues.
First time attendee, Tanya Reed, lists networking and collaborating with fellow nurse practitioners as primary reasons for attending the AANP 2015 National Conference. She also looked forward to celebrating the 50th anniversary of the first nurse practitioner program. Watch the video.
Learn more about AANP conferences.