Today, October 21, the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) joined the Obama Administration and a number of public and private sector partners to announce new efforts to address the prescription drug abuse and heroin epidemic. The President will highlight these efforts at an event in Charleston, West Virginia today where he will hear directly from individuals and families affected by this epidemic and the health care professionals, law enforcement officers, and community leaders working to prevent addiction and respond to its aftermath.
Opioid misuse/abuse is a major public health problem. Improper use of any opioid can result in serious after effects including overdose and death. In 2011, 41,430 Americans died from drug poisonings. Nearly 17,000 deaths involved prescription opioids. Founded in 2010, the mission of the Collaboration for REMS Education (CO*RE) is to promote individual and population health and public safety through timely, evidence-based, outcome-oriented and interprofessional education related to the comprehensive management of pain, addiction, and their co-morbidities. Learn more at Core-rems.org.
AANP is a member of CO*RE.
- To date, AANP along with fellow CO*RE Partners has educated more than 110,000 prescribing clinicians about safe opioids prescribing.
- To date, AANP has educated more than 9,500 NPs about safe opioid prescribing.
- In 2016, in conjunction with CO*RE, NIDA and the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, AANP will reach 25,000 clinicians regarding opioids, adolescents and substance use/abuse.
- CO*RE consists of 13 national associations and organizations which collectively represent almost 730,000 prescribing clinicians. With our partner Medscape, CO*RE’s reach exceeds 1,767,885 U.S. healthcare clinicians.
AANP offers the following continuing education activities on this topic in the AANP CE Center:
- ER/LA Opioid REMS: Achieving Safe Use While Improving Patient Care
- Techniques for Safe Opioid Prescribing
- Complex Cases in Pain Management
- Finding the Right Pain Medication for Your Patient: Opioids and Analgesics
- Managing Pain Patients Who Abuse RX Drugs
- Safe Prescribing for Pain
To access the live stream of the White House Community Forum, which is set for 2:20 PM ET today (Oct 21, 2015), visit https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/president-obama-hosts-community-forum.